Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Gratitude Journals

For Christmas, in addition to my cozy Snuggie, Charlie gave me the book, The Magic.  Now, I'm not so sure what I think of the book so far - my opinion isn't yet formed - but I will say that one of the most profound things that I've read in recent times was right there within the first chapter: 

"Whoever has will be given more, and he will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what he has, will be taken from him." (Matthew 13:12)

I've read this biblical verse before and I'm fairly certain the reference pertains to spiritual knowledge. But in this book, the author puts "the abundance" in to the context of gratitude, which I think also makes sense. Consider, "Whoever has gratitude will be given more, and he will have an abundance. Whoever does not have gratitude, even what he has, will be taken from him." 

There are a lot of people in the world who do not appear to be thankful for what they have - and yet, they appear to receive MORE. Just as there are people in the world who appear to have nothing, and are extremely thankful for what little they do have and yet, their abundance isn't multiplying before their eyes. So, that seems to be a potential conflict in this theory. 

Nonetheless, in my family, we could all do better to really consider that for which we are grateful. For the past several years, every night during dinner, our family will discuss what was something that made them happy that day.  But I've been thinking that we needed to take this one step further to allow for inward reflection (and improvement to our penmanship and creativity) by writing and/or drawing a picture of something that we are grateful for in that day.  As I strolled past the $1.00 bins at Target last week, I found these little notebooks that I thought would be perfect for our Daily Gratitude Journals.  Everyone ... all six of us in our family ... now have our own copy and we've personalized the front.  

DSC_0077

From Day 1, according to William: "I'm thankful for my eyes so I can see. My heart that can pump blud (blood). But mostley of all a family that cares for me." 

DSC_0072

LOVE! 

Alas, when  I went to tuck the boys in to bed last night, William's grateful spirit was thwarted and he felt like his family was treating him like a slave. Apparently, removing your dishes off the table after dinnertime and then! having to pick up your own toys and put your dirty clothes in the hamper is inhumane for an eight-year-old boy. That attitude is completely on par with what one might expect from a normal child his age.  And for that, I'm abundantly grateful. 

(Or at least trying to be.)  

No comments:

Post a Comment