Monday, December 31, 2012

December 31

The scene at our house today:

Racing various contraptions that we'd built out of Trio blocks down the hallways....

DSC_0012

DSC_0013

DSC_0038

DSC_0040

DSC_0044

Louie strolls over to investigate...

DSC_0046

George Washington, er ... I mean Paul Revere makes an appearance.

DSC_0047

DSC_0052

Little brothers leave the warmth of my lap and embrace...

DSC_0035

To join their big brother and dress up like a character from the 18th century....

DSC_0054

There was some animated movie watching via our iPad and live streaming on Netflix, while Louie had a staring contest with the fire...

DSC_0063

There was a rambunctious game of boys versus girls in Pictionary...

(This is a prison...)

DSC_0067

(This is a cookie...)

DSC_0071

And then we sat down with the children and thought about all of the wonderful things that we'd like to do next year. Not necessarily "Go here and there..." or "See this and that..." but more along the lines of, "Be kinder than necessary. Make friends.  Include people. Smile. Bring sunshine - where ever we go. Challenge ourselves to implement Ann Curry's 26 Acts of Kindness."

Charlie and I tucked the children in to bed and now we're going to go watch our own movie as we ring in the New Year.  I'd read something the other day about people who were going stir crazy feeling like they were trapped inside their homes and had a severe case of cabin fever following the holidays. This feeling is so foreign to me. I've never been so content as I have these past almost two weeks when I've left the house for no more than five hours, total.  Today as I was puttering around in my slippers, playing with our children and lounging in front of the fire, I kept wondering if I was the incarnate of a hermit?  I absolutely love staying home and really hope to do more of it.

Goodbye 2012.  This has been a year of enlightenment and growth for me. As we embark on 2013,  I feel like I have clarity, focus, determination and best of all - - gratitude.  It's my most heartfelt prayer that this is a wonderful year for everyone. And I'm convinced it can be ... if you will it so.

Happy New Year!

4 comments:

  1. Amen! I went to the UU Church on Sunday and the lesson was on Gratitude---and Attitude. Enjoy---Happy new Year!!
    MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you and yours a blessed, fruitful, content 2013. Looking forward to seeing where life and your path take you this year.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! Years and years ago I followed your blog, back when I still had one of my own. You probably won't remember me, but I was the one that introduced you to the butter crocks. My daughter, Elsie is the same age as the triplets and I really enjoyed hearing of your adventures in mothering. Somehow I dropped out of the blogosphere and lost track of all the blogs I followed. I've thought of you and your kids occasionally over the years and wondered how you were all doing, but couldn't remember how to find your blog. Tonight I was digging around on the internet and happened upon a link and found myself here. I'm not sure if you will see this on an old post, but your newer posts do not have comments available. I just wanted to say I am very pleased to see your kids doing so well and amazed to see them almost grown. Good job, Mom! Enjoy the next few years and the next round of "lasts". My oldest is in grad school and getting married this spring. Our mom adventures will be grandma adventures before we know it... Love, Nettie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nettie - it's so wonderful hearing from you! Just today, I figured out that I had several years worth of pending comments. Ha! I wasn't even sure people were reading this blog anymore since i've been updating it so infrequently!! I absolutely remember you and think of you fondly every time I refill our butter crock (which is still in use!) Life goes by so fast, it's hard to believe the days with all the little ones have passed. I'm so grateful for this blog to go back and remember details that would have otherwise been lost! Congratulations to your son on his nuptials - you are right, the grandchildren will be here before we know it. What a delight and gift this life has been, motherhood really is a blessing beyond measure! Take care and stay well - sending so much love to you and yours! xoxo Jen

      Delete