Monday, December 10, 2012

December 10

Christmas tree shopping.

IMG_4087

William asked me why it is that we have Christmas trees and I started to speculate before realizing I really have no idea. So I went online, right there in the Knights of Columbus Christmas tree lot, and read about the ritual of bringing evergreens in to a home for decoration, long before the dawn of Christianity, as a reminder that although the days of winter can be dark and long - one day soon, the sun will be warm and the earth will be green again.  Around 500 years ago, in Germany, decorating their dwellings with evergreen boughs evolved to people who would bring fully decorated trees in to their homes as a tribute for Christmas. And then Martin Luther, a 16th century Protestant, added lit candles to his tree to replicate the beautiful stars that he saw shining brightly in the winter sky.

Alas, while Christmas tree fever was spreading like wildfire through Europe, the colonists in America thought the folks across the pond were weird.  Why would you bring a living tree in to your home? Prior to the late 1840's they had traced this odd ritual back to people that would hang the evergreen boughs to keep away witches and evil spirits and some, like Oliver Cromwell, rallied against Christmas trees and other such "pagan mockeries" which included "singing Christmas carols and any other joyful expression that desecrated that sacred event."

You're a mean one, Mr. Ollie Grinch. Sounds like someone needs to lighten up and have some egg nog and brandy. Or eggnog and rum. (Or maybe both.) 

So while William was moderately impressed with the story of the Christmas tree and only yawned twice as I read to him from The History Channel's website,  I've concluded that O'Tannebaum - the German song of the Christmas tree - sums it up much more succinctly.

O Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree, 
How steadfast are your branches!
Your boughs are green in summer's clime
And through the snows of wintertime! 
O Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree, 
How steadfast are your branches!

O Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree, 
What happiness befalls me when oft at joyous Christmas-time, 
Your form inspires my song and rhyme! 
O Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree, 
What happiness befalls me! 

O Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree, 
Your boughs can teach a lesson!
That constant faith and hope sublime
Lend strength and comfort through all time!
O Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree,
Your boughs can teach a lesson! 

We love fresh trees and this year bought two. One that is approximately 38.5% too big for our living room (is it just me, or do they always look so much smaller in the lot?)... 

DSC_0158

And a second "Charlie Brown Tree" that the children nearly wept over and was purchased for our downstairs area.  

DSC_0153

Next weekend, Charlie tells me that he'll string lights on our house in Griswold Family fashion. Assuming he really has overcome his fear of ladders, I believe it. 

Christmas-Vacation-house-lit-up-511x288

So, it seems we're joyfully expressive people?

Hallelujah!

4 comments:

  1. Fun times---enjoy every minute.
    MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you were here (or at least closer) to share in the experience with us ... the kids are having so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a wonderful thing to have an "on the spot" answer. Unfortunately, we didn't have that when mine was small - it saddens me to think of how many of his questions went unanswered.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gigi - I can't remember how we functioned without Google and Wikipedia! And yes, I definitely rely on it when the kids ask me questions that I'm not 100% sure about. We're very lucky to have this technology now. Although, I can't help but wonder what further technological advances will be in place by the time my children are parents... It's mind boggling!!

    ReplyDelete