Monday, May 07, 2012

not the superhero ... although he does exist

These days our children are (predominantly), such a joy to be around. They are becoming more independent and conversations with them are engaging and fun.

DSC_0662

Tonight, during our evening walk, we were talking about the difference between insects and bugs.

We never did figure it out, although I do know that a bug is always an insect, but an insect isn't always a bug. And I think it has something to do with their wing shape but until such time that I go look it up, that's all I know.  Nonetheless, William was telling me that he thinks that insects have more legs than bugs. He thought that a centipede was a perfect example of an insect.  Which I actually knew was incorrect because a centipede is an arthropod. I'm amazed at my ability to recall that one nugget of information from 10th grade biology, but there it is.

So William tells me that he wishes he was a centipede. Because it would be so much fun to have all of those legs and just think of how fast he would run, he'd surely be the fastest kid on the soccer field!

But then I said, "I think I'd go nuts with that many legs. I can't imagine tying so many pairs of shoes everyday and just think of all the pairs that we'd lose!  Most days we can barely find the pair that we need!"  Well, my son thought that was one of the funniest things he'd ever heard and was still laughing about an hour later when he was brushing his teeth for bed.

When I was tucking him in, he told me, "Mom, tomorrow I'm going to go find a centipede in our yard. I'm going to take my banana man and go down by the creek and see if I can find one under the rocks."

I replied, "That sounds great, Will!" But then I said, "Wait ... what did you say? Did you say banana man?"  He looked at me and said very matter-of-factly, "Yes, a banana man. You know ... those things that come in all different colors that you tie around your head when you work in the yard? Cowboys sometimes wear them around their necks?" Then he articulated, "A BANANA MAN."

"Do you mean bandana?" I asked, laughing.

He gave me an exasperated sigh and added, "That's what I just said ... a BANANA MAN."

There are certain words and phrases I'm not correcting the children about (yet), because I love (love, love, love) to hear the adorable mispronunciations. For example, Henry calls his brother, "Willyow" and his sister, "Littlebet." And William, it would appear calls bandanas "banana man." 

Which should definitely NOT be confused with Bananaman

banana1

Just so you know.