Friday, December 09, 2011

T-16

When I was ten-years-old, my mother and I went out to a restaurant for dinner and I remember the horror I felt when I realized that I had forgotten Frosty was on television that very same night and I was missing it. When I was a child, Costco didn't exist and you couldn't just swing by the store and pick up an assorted pack of Christmas movies on Blu-Ray.

You miss that one annual airing and you're out of luck.

To prevent that feeling of utter despair, as an adult, I own almost every Christmas movie imaginable, and yet whenever I catch one on television, I almost always have to watch. There's something magical about seeing a Christmas movie on TV.

Especially the cartoons.

For example, when Rudolph, Yukon Cornelius and Hermey are face to face with the Abominable Snow Monster and the scene cuts to a commercial ... you're on pins and needles wondering if they'll escape. Just how fast can you run down the hall, use the restroom, and get back to see what happens to Clarice?!

Even though she makes it out alive, year after year - it is heart pounding excitement!

Tonight, Charlie and I are pouring ourselves some eggnog and cuddling up with another of our favorite Christmas movies.

IMG_1912

Last week, I discovered that my Girl-Scout co-leader also considers this to be one of her absolute favorite movies of all time. Which means our relationship has ascended to a whole new level and we now sign off all of our e-mails with a different NLCV quote. Here's an excerpt from our e-mail string this week:

I'll pick up the glitter and be at your house by 5:15.
"Save the neck for me!"

Sounds great. Could you also grab some glue sticks?
"If I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet, I wouldn't be more surprised than I am right now."

OK. By the way, what day are we going to the Fire Station?
"Did you bring a saw?"

Let's plan for Wednesday the 21st.
"What's that sound? You hear it? It's a funny squeaky sound."

You'd have to see the movie to understand those lines. But you'd probably have to watch it 20 times or more to think it's as deliriously funny as we think it is.

SQUIRREL!