Tuesday, August 30, 2011

nineteeth

Number 19...

Items from the nineteenth century.

(Antique medicine spoon from John C. Friend pharmacy circa 1892).

DSC_0015

My father bought a drugstore in downtown Concord, Massachusetts in the 60's. Over the years, my family worked their fingers to the bone cleaning out that store, including the basement.

DSC_0018

Since the location had been occupied by a pharmacy for almost 100 years prior to my father taking it over, there were all kinds of pharmaceutical antiques discovered.

DSC_0003

DSC_0007

When my father sold his house last year, my sister Beth packaged up and mailed to us several apothecary items that she thought we'd like for posterity.

DSC_0002

After carefully inspecting all of the bottles, I made the executive decision to dispose of the contents and simply store the bottles along with a few mortar and pestles.

DSC_0001

While I know that my father appreciated that these bottles contained the original chemicals ...

DSC_0005

... I wouldn't put it past the four small children in our house, to get in to the arsenous acid and thinking that it's confectionery sugar, sprinkle it across their french toast.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete