Tuesday, June 15, 2010

on second thought...

Tonight as we were sitting around the dinner table, the children were giving us a recap on their day at camp. I asked William if he had met any other little boys and he shook his head and said, "No." Then he added brightly, "But I did meet a little girl!"

"Oh," I said. "How did that go?"

"Well..." he said. "It went very well. I told her, 'Hello, my name is William. What's your name?' and she said, 'My name is Robert.' "

I'm not sure why that struck me as being so funny, but I almost fell out of my chair I was laughing so hard. "Are you sure that Robert is a girl?" I asked. William sat for a moment and said, "Well ... now that you mention it, she did kind of look like a boy."

I absolutely love having five-year-olds.

They're not even trying to be funny and yet they send me in to stitches several times a day.

8 comments:

  1. So I've been reading your blog for three years now, and last night I had a dream that I was babysitting your kids while you were packing. I don't remember many details, but we went to the beach and I recall laughing a lot. It's the first blog-following dream I've ever had, which in itself cracked me up.

    Hopefully you find that funny and not stalkerish. :) Rest assured I'm just a regular, nonthreatening mom. Thanks for all the great stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *laughs* That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ROFL!! ROFLMAO!!! I nearly fell out of my chair too and he isn't even my kid. That was PRICELESS!!

    And I gotta say, with this trend of really long hair on boys, I get his confusion. I feel it too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh geez I was laughing as soon as he said Robert. You know the long haired look on the boys can really throw us all off. Hope you are getting lots of packing done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know why this makes me think of a story my 45 year old brother just told me.
    When he was a young Army sergeant
    - about 24 - he dated a woman named Thelma. Thelma went by "Tommy" or "Tom" to her fellow soldiers. Thelma was 40 years old so today would be called a cougar.

    Maybe Robert IS a girl and she's like 8.......Either way I'm glad William has found a new friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL... well now that you mention it..... I just love the random things that come out of little kids mouths. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. delurking... (finally!)
    That is sooooo funny!!
    I really miss that age (my 4 kids are now 19 to 25 - those years went by way too quickly!)

    ReplyDelete