Wednesday, February 11, 2009

wednesday weigh in

Charlie and I loaded the kids in to double strollers and we went running last Saturday. We left our house at 9:30 AM, just as the rain clouds started to roll in. We ran to REI where we browsed the winter clearance racks before running to Macy's.


And then we ran to a fabric store where I picked up some fuzzy yarn.


Then we popped in to Walmart to buy some diapers.

We were leaving Walmart when the kids started to complain that they were hungry. So we ran to Chic-fil-A and we let them out of the strollers to stretch while we scarfed down french fries and milk shakes salads.

Just as we started to make our way home, the heavens opened and it poured.

We were still several miles from our house and Charlie suggested that we run home, through the rain. The children would remain dry because we had rain covers for the strollers and they were bundled up warmly. But he and I would get drenched. My husband's eyes sparkled when he told me that it would be such fun to run home through the mud and rain.

But I was full. And tired. And my foot hurt. So I suggested that we cruise the aisles of Home Depot and look at bathroom fixtures until the storm passed.

Which we did.

All told, it took us four hours to run five miles. But there were a lot of hills. And mud puddles. And strong headwinds. And awesome sales. And we were pushing four children in strollers that were loaded down with bags from REI, the fabric store, Walmart and Home Depot.

Five days later, I'm still tired.

I haven't been running since Saturday because of the wrath of sickness that has struck our house in the past few days. But since I just got the clear from my doctor that my foot is only sprained, I plan to ice it, wrap it tightly, and reduce my running to walking until it heals.

Or, maybe I'll just lay on the couch and watch the first two weeks of American Idol that we've recorded and I haven't yet had a chance to watch?

I don't want to strain my foot any further, but I do plan to be back out there, this weekend. If it hurts to run, I'll walk. But I'm going to keep going. Even if I have to hide my roller skates somewhere along the course, I am going to finish that marathon.

I am also going to do whatever I can to help raise money for cancer research, which may or may not stop once we complete our marathon in May.

If there is one thing that my blogging experience has taught me, it's that there is heartache every where. Within the past month, I read two separate blogs written by women whose small children are battling cancer.

In late January, one family learned that one of their toddler triplets was diagnosed with neuroblastoma. The very next week, another family lost one of their two-year-old twin girls to the exact same disease.

These are the stories that make me lose sleep.

But they are also the stories that inspire me.

Last night, Charlie and I were up putting the finishing touches on our fundraising letter that I plan to send out to everyone we know within the next few days. And since I've nearly finished Kim's baby blanket, I'm turning my attention to knitting a few fuzzy scarves for our fund raising campaign.

See, Look!

I took a break from writing this post to start knitting one of my fuzzy scarves. When finished, it will be a fashion masterpiece and not look like a cheap toupee.


As you can see, there are other things I could be doing. Like laundry.


Or, playing with the baby on my lap.


But over the next week, I'll be making scarves to help our fund raising campaign. For what it's worth, I saw a similar (albeit INFERIOR) scarf when we were out shopping running this past weekend and it was $90.00.

But for a $1.00 donation to any of our Team In Training websites (Margaret ... Charlie ... Me) you can enter a drawing to own one of the two hand knit fuzzy scarves I plan to make. They are warm. And fuzzy. And a beautiful compliment to any outfit.

Winners will be announced next Wednesday.

Now we know, first hand, that times are tough with this economy. But we must not let that hinder us from finding a cure to a disease that can and must be stopped.

Just ask Tuesday's mom.

****
Up until earlier today, I was in disbelief that I am attempting to take on a marathon. But when one of my running friends sent me a quote this morning by John Bingham, I realized that I'm already 95% of the way there.

"The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start."

So how are you doing with your goals?

12 comments:

  1. Please send me one of your letters. Email me at patton_ellen@hotmail.com and I'll send you my address.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen, you're such an inspiration! Jogging with 2 kids...good job! I easily say I can't jog with the triplets and they only weigh around 75 pounds.

    As for my goal: I start OFFICIALLY training for my 1/2 Marathon at the end of February, but I've been working on my speed and my keeping up my conditioning. I've done (mostly) 3 days a week...4.25 miles. Unfortunately, most of it's inside on a treadmill, but it helps me do speed climbs. 5 minutes at 6.3 m/hr then 5 minutes climbing up .1m/hr each minute. Then down to 6.4 for 5 minutes...then climb...etc. etc. etc. Or, I've done hill climbs.

    I've got to say, I'm nervous to do my 1/2...but I'm excited to try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here is another sad story that I just read...

    http://themcclenahans.blogspot.com/

    I have been finding way too many of these stories lately. It really breaks your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been overwhelmed by reading Tuesday's family blog too. So heartbreaking.

    I went running today too but managed to get home just before it poured here. At one point I had 5 kids in the quad stroller and my pace slowed to a crawl. But I "only" have 25 more lbs to go before I fit into my ball gown!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There have been so many comments I've wanted to leave here for you at so many different times but I can never think of the right words. The most important thing I wanted to say is: make sure you read the book 'Driven by Eternity' by John Bevere. It has changed my life. Forever. This comment is re: your last post, but I wanted to make sure you read it =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jen I was just on twitter and discovered poor William was sick.

    For you ankle try one of those fitted ankle braces not the wrap kind the one piece - I badly sprained my ankle 5 weeks ago, finally it doesn't hurt like hell but the one piece brace REALLY helps. I wear it all day.

    ANd good for you taking on a marathon! Since the ecomony sucks I can't donate much because all our charity dollars are going to breast cancer - survivor 2 years, 9 months and counting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, I am not sure how I came across your blog, but I wanted you to know that I feel your pain when it comes to taking care of your sick kids. I wanted to comment on your hell week post, because that is how I have been feeling too!! I am only doing it with two kids, one and two year old, so you are my hero with four!! My kids have had croup, fever, diarrhea,ear infections etc for over one week now.. I am just trying to keep my sanity at this point..k, well I just wanted to say hi and that I enjoy reading your blog.
    I do agree with you about all of the heart wreching blogs out there. It seems like there has been so many lately.. I just sit and cry... this can't be healthy can it??? My heart goes out to all of these families...hope your kids are feeling well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My favorite kinda workout! Shopping - sounds like a fun day.

    Reworking my letter - plan to send it out by next week too! This fundraising stuff is tough! But I'm glad we are doing it. The more that I talk the more stories I hear. So tough.

    Talk to you soon. M

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love knitting! Fuzzy scarves were one of the first things I learned how to do. Good luck!

    Goals: I've worked out six days a week for the last three weeks. I am almost up to running 3 miles straight (yea!), and I'm lifting weights every other day. Love it! I'm losing weight now, which is really nice. I'm hoping that by May when I graduate I can walk across the stage and really strut my stuff looking AWESOME! Thanks for the motivation by the way. If I have someone I report to I do MUCH better!

    ReplyDelete
  10. If we had Chik-Fil-A in Canada, it would be my greatest weakness. Just tried it on holidays a couple weeks ago... mmm. so good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay! $5 each to you and Charlie (sorry so cheap). Love the scarves!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How to you enter to win a scarf? I hit the click and nada. I am anonymous in cyberspace, maybe that's why it did not work for me?!!
    Cali

    ReplyDelete